Sunday, January 24, 2010

Connectivism



Through the use of social networks, my learning is not limited to one location or one group of people. Due to social networks, my circle from where my knowledge is generated has expanded. I learn not only from my close circle of co-workers or friends, but also from people I have never met, but with whom I share a common professional interest. We exchange knowledge through listserv or through other social networks such as YouTube and blogs. The exchange of innovative thinking is made easier through social networks since new ideas can be easily debated and discussed without any particular limitations or boundaries such as time and location.
Their is no one particular tool which has facilitated learning more than any other as I find the web to be is a vast resource of information. There are several options as to where to find immediate answers or to look for information as to where the best answers are. The first is to post the question on one of the social networks where there is an interest of the same topic and usually an instantaneous response will be generated. Another option is to use Open University such as http://oyc.yale.edu/; I don’t have to be enrolled in a particular class to listen to a lecture if I have a particular interest on a topic and wish to expand my knowledge.

Educause Learning Initiative Annual Meeting 2008

1 comment:

  1. Hello Orit,
    I especially like your personal approach to all the different groups of people you included in your network of learning. Your use of color was dynamic and very professional! Your mind map is very different from mine. I took a more digital approach and put in all the resources that I access for work and school. I think yours is more holistic and shows the true collaboration is with the people in these digital worlds. Thanks again for your insight. I also learned about the Yale free lectures from your post. It is amazing what is becoming freely accessible to us and our students.

    ReplyDelete